Saturday, December 04, 2004

Problem-Base Learning in RP


What Do I Think About PBL in RP?

It's about 9 months I am in Republic Poly already. This PLB thingy, I guess more or less I am getting used to it, however, I still think that a lot of people either think it's useless or still do not know how to learn in PBL. I can't say I understand fully or perfectly, but I think I am able to learn slightly better then some others.

Someone said I could do better in VB compared with other because I am talented in it, but do you know how much effort I had put in? Do you know much time I had prepared for it? I took at least 15 hours in 1 day - a complete day without watching TV, chatting in msn, sleeping etc - to complete a new application. This includes referring to past applications codes, browsing through internet for resources and definitely the unlimited of checking of Encarta. You call this talented? Listen carefully! This is pure hard work! I would say that it is the interest that motivates me and also I put in effort and ask for perfection in things that I’m interested in. I know not everyone has got interest in VB or any modules that you study, but is that a valid reason for you to slack? Or what’s your definition of “putting effort”?

This is quoted from someone :
“Anonymous said...
I more sian... I regret not doing my best... It was such a waste... I have nothing to complain, no one to complain to... It all lies with me, it's all in me... There is nothing left to do except regret... ...”
In my opinion, this person is still not doing his/her best. In fact the grades are dropping compared to last semester. If somehow you wonder why the facilitator kept giving you a C grade but not A, think again... If you put in effort, did you ever show it to the facilitator? Or do you just keep it to yourself?

In my opinion, this is a guild of how grades are given:
1. the quantity of participation in class (includes comments given in 1st, 2nd and 3rd meeting)... make sure you don’t comment to yourself, let the facilitator hear what you say.
2. give constructive critiques in team discussion and presentation, this reflects how much you understand. (If you think it’s reasonable, give it!)
3. say as much things you understood during the research, of cause it have to be useful to understanding and reflects to what you had learnt. (what you think is obvious, might not be noticeable to others.)
4. when doing evaluation, do it honestly, the facilitator is not blind. As for RJ, give original contents and ideas. Copied ideas only reflects your nonchalant attitude in learning, not just reflects to facilitator, but to everyone.

I don’t know if anyone felt the same as I think, I know in school I’m kind of cold towards you guys sometimes and a bit hot temper nowadays and I’m like not helping you all, it’s because I’m hoping to do a good PowerPoint slide for presentation which would give everyone a better understanding of what we are to learn, how else do you think you can learn in PBL? I’m not selfish that I don’t want to let you guys know what I’m trying to do or tell you all what I understand during researching, just that there is time constrain and if I explain things 1 by 1, there won’t be enough time to do a good PowerPoint. Can’t you see that I am always rushing for my slides? If I’m selfish, I won’t even volunteer to teach VB at all...

If anyone wonder why do I post such article, I’m not trying to prove how good am I, I’m just trying to help... This is just how I felt, I wanted to tell you people, but can’t put them into words... therefore I typed it out...

Some tips on how you could understand what you are suppose to do better:
1. reduce the time on MSN and lunch hours
2. do not give up easily even if you think you can’t find the right information, just read anything related, you never know, it might be what you will be presenting.
3. if you think anything is right, just go ahead and do it.
4. try to brainstorm on what might be related to the topic and die die go and read!
5. in the 1st place, think of why you are given that type of problem... there is a reason for the presence in everything.
6.
Good Luck!

Any comments, feel free to post up. Good or bad, agreement or disagreement, it doesn’t matter... but before you make any comments, please calm down and think through first… it’s ok if you post is anonymously, but it’s better if you add your name in. Click here to post your comment.

Time Started: 05:51PM 04-12-04
Time Ended : 08:50PM 04-12-04


Posted by 壁虎 at 5:51:00 PM

1 Comments

  1. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 12/06/2004 11:11 PM  
    hey...u said that my grades are dropping...U R VERY WRONG, ABSOLUTELY WRONG... i can my improvement on the daily grades. i AM IMPROVING...

    i never keep getting C...from the start of sem 2 till now, i have 7 Cs present in 4 modules, onli 1 each in two of the modules, but those Cs i got are around the start of the sem...since week 3 onwards, i have started to get Bs and As.. more As compared to sem 1...i have indeed improved...


    i guess u r rite in saying that cutting down on msn n also speaking more can help in getting good grades. the fact i improved may be because i seldom msn that much nowadays...not as much as last sem...msn now is only during really free time and also before goin to eat and also especially for sending info for work...for eating time, i have no way to cut down as i eat very slow, not that i want to, its jus dat i cannot help it, i also wan to eat faster, as fast as u all, but i jus cannot do it...well..mayb i can cut down on talking during eating time...right? i think u r right...reading of resources is very important..actually i do not dare to skip resources liao...i will at least read through briefly, and will not skip directly like last sem...


    i need your comments on the amount of me slacking in this term of sem 2...m i still slacking as much as in sem 1, or izzit lesser? i dun think it is more ba....please do comment on my teamwork and behaviour in class, better or worse compared to last sem?
    "i cannot see my own mistakes without others' help"

Post a Comment

« Home